Many of us want that lean toned body without having to spend hours in the gym lifting weights or doing cardio. A lot of the time life can get very busy and this is not always our top priority or simply people do not like going to the gym and working out. Here I will give y’all some of my tips for getting and staying lean without having to go to the gym every day!
- Drink water! Drink water, and lots of it! This is one of the most simple ways of looking after your body in a way that will help you lose weight and stay lean. Our body needs to stay constantly hydrated throughout the day to help aid in the functioning of all our body systems. Often when our body is dehydrated it can be mistaken for a feeling of hunger or tiredness, instead of reaching for a snack have a glass of water and see how you feel. Every day you should be aiming to drink at least 2-3L of water, more if you are exercising or out in the heat. I have just recently purchased a half gallon water bottle which is 1.89L having most of my daily water in one bottle makes it easier to see how much I am drinking throughout the day. If you don’t like the taste of water alone, try mixing it with different fruits to get a sweeter taste, this will also provide you with vitamins, and antioxidants depending which fruit you choose.
- Watch your diet! Almost everyone who is into fitness, or the gym or staying healthy will tell you how important a healthy diet is. When trying to gain lean muscle or those visible abs there will normally be an 80:20 ratio for diet:exercise. As I have mentioned in a previous post (check it out if you haven’t already here) this does not have to include going on a hard diet and only eating vegetables and low calorie meals. Figure out what works well with your body and which foods you can digest easily to help prevent any bloating. A useful app which many athletes use is called ‘my fitness pal’ this is quite a basic app but will help track your calorific intake for you. I like to use this when I can’t workout for extended periods of time to stop me from over eating. This is also a great way of being able to visually see how many calories you are consuming in a normal day and where slight adjustments can be made. I often advise people to consume meals with higher amounts of protein and fibre.
- Eat breakfast! A lot of people especially those who start work or class early will skip breakfast as a way of saving time. Do not do this! Breakfast is known as the most important meal of the day is it will help to boost your metabolism for the rest of the day. A great way to get around not eating breakfast as soon as you get up is to go for a walk first, this is known as fasted cardio and is a great way of burning fat.
- Have a hot drink! For your body to break down your food and drink it needs to heat it up first, having hot drinks throughout the day and with your meals will help with this. Having hot drinks also have their own benefits depending which drink you choose. Drinking coffee can help to increase your metabolism as well as focus more due to the high amounts of caffeine present. Other drinks such as herbal teas are great for helping to aid in digestion and fat loss. Hot chocolate has also been known to help reduce stress.
- Keep moving! It is very important to stay active throughout your day, this could just simply be taking a walk around the block where you live or going for a leisurely stroll with some friends. Exercising does not always have to include lifting weights or doing lots of cardio in the gym. It could be walking up the stairs where you walk to your desk instead of taking the lift or going for a family day out. The recommended daily steps is 10,000 every day, this may seem like a lot but if you take notice of the amount you are doing there could be easy ways to up your steps slightly.
- Drink wisely! Many of us love to have a few drinks when the weather starts to get a little warmer or socially when meeting up with friends. Many drinks have a lot of calories in them. Try opting for a drink that has a lower amount of calories or drink it slower. Think about your mixer also. If you are mixing your spirit or glass of wine with a fizzy drink this could also make you feel bloated due to the excess gas you are holding in your gut.
- Stretch! Stretching is something which is often and easily overlooked. Stretching helps to prevent your muscles getting too tight and sore. It can also help to reduce constipation and bloating.
All of these tips will help you to stay lean or lose fat without having to go to the gym. Along with these I would always encourage people to exercise as much as they can even if it is only body weight exercises or core strengthening exercises. I love lifting weights and staying in shape through doing mainly weights with some cardio however there are times when I am not allowed to lift or I simply don’t want to.
Until next time,
Check out the rest of my website and other posts! Let me know what y’all think! 🙂